Saturday, November 22, 2008

Be prepared...we're in an economic crisis!

I thought I'd make a quick post about some things I've started doing to prepare my family in case of a real disaster. With the way things are going in our economy right now, I don't think you can be too safe!

1) I've been buying oatmeal in bulk instead of cold cereal. Oatmeal keeps a lot longer and goes a long way. It saves SO much money, and plus, it's healthier!

2) Don't throw away your milk jugs, fill them with water. I have avoided doing this for some time because I think it takes up so much room, but if there were to be a disaster in the area and we didn't have running water, I would be a wreck. It's a good idea to stalk up on wipes too for bathing. I'm good to go because I have a baby and already buy wipes in bulk!

3) Take some money out of the bank for an emergency, like $1000. I haven't had cash in the house for so long, PLASTIC BABY! I always use my debit/credit card. Checks are even a thing of the past. But really, don't you think it is such a good idea to have some money in the house? And I've heard that it's good to keep smaller bills, because for buying small things, local stores may not be able to break large bills.

4) This one is next on my list. Store a small supply of gasoline. This is good to have for a back up generator or just gas for your car! If water is rationed, you know gas will be too.

Oh, and don't forget to have your 72 hour kits prepared for each family member. I lucked out. We got ours from my mother-in-law for Christmas a couple of years ago!

Hope this helps. Am I paranoid? I don't think so. I think things are going to get worse before they get better. So be prepared!

No comments: