Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Playing with matches!

The first time my 3 year old came up to me and said to me, "Mom, I want to play with matches! Can I please play with matches?" I went straight to the basket on the counter in the kitchen (which had matches in it) and put it up way high, thinking she would be climbing up on her little pink stool to get them. After all, she has watched me light candles on a number of occasions! So of course my reply to her question was a big fat "NO."

I had totally forgotten about the cute little Mickey Mouse memory game that she got for Christmas! We did try to play it once, and it really overwhelmed her. She lasted about one minute. There were like 50 pairs of matches to find, and with a 3 year old memory, it wasn't working!

But then I heard of an idea that really helps kids develop their cognitive function that comes with matching pictures...play a memory game but with all the cards facing up!

Needless to say, it was a big huge success. We played this game over and over for an hour. Talk about a confidence booster for my little munchkin! She loved to help ME find MY matches on my turn too, when I had 'trouble finding them.'

No comments: