Sunday, August 12, 2012

Another LAME yet wonderful anniversary



We have been going through some turbulent times. I will leave it at that. It seems like just when things couldn't possibly get worse, they do!

My friend Christi gave me this quote that is SO comforting to me:

"It isn't as bad as you sometimes think it is. It all works out. Don't worry. I say that to myself every morning. It will all work out. If you do your best, it will all work out. Put your trust in God and move forward with faith and confidence in the future. The Lord will not forsake us. He will not forsake us, ...if we will put our trust in Him, if we will pray to Him, if we will live worthy of His blessings, He will hear our prayers."  -Gordon B. Hinckley

It is difficult for me to sum up and put into words what I have learned since we have moved here and been thrown as it were 'into the fire' of adversity. All I can say is, that because I have put my trust in the Lord, my ship will not sink, no matter how mountainous the waves become. He will not forsake us, he will comfort us!

Anyway, on to the present. Today is our 8 year anniversary. We were really hoping to go to DC and attend the temple this weekend, but on Thursday while I was at work, Brenna started the whole nausea, vomiting, diarrhea thing. Instead of a weekend away, we decided to try a date on Saturday. That morning, however, Kaylee AND Brenna were throwing up. So we had to bag everything. Since I stayed home with the sick kids, I made a nice early dinner for Nate to come home to; jambalaya and chocolate covered strawberries. Later, my friend Christi came over to our house so Nate and I could just take a walk for an hour. It was a beautiful day...I wish the walk could have lasted longer.

As disappointed as I am to miss out on yet another anniversary getaway (like, our anniversary plans have never worked out...I'm not kidding), I am just so grateful for my marriage. It has been by far the most rewarding relationship of my life. You get out of your marriage what you put into it. I look back on my wedding day and can remember the way I thought of marriage back then. It was a very immature understanding. I think a lot of times the rewards of marriage come after going through some turbulence.

I am so blessed to have a man by my side who has been through the ugliest times of my life with me and has never wavered. I am not always a fun person to be around (and that could be considered an understatement) but I have never heard Nate complain about my crazed antics, even ONE time.

"How sweet is the assurance, how comforting is the peace that come from the knowledge that if we marry right and live right, our relationship will continue, notwithstanding the certainty of death and the passage of time. Men may write love songs and sing them. They may yearn and hope and dream. But all of this will be only a romantic longing unless there is an exercise of authority that transcends the powers of time and death." -President Gordon B. Hinckley

No comments: