Sunday, August 23, 2009

Chicken Enchiladas with Mexican Fried Rice

I tried a new recipe for chicken enchiladas...YUMMY!

Makes 10 enchiladas

What you need:
2 cups shredded cooked chicken (fresh is better than canned)
1 cup sour cream
1 (7 ounce) can chopped green chilies
1 cup chopped onions
2 Tbsp butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
10 flour tortillas
1 (15-ounce) can mild enchilada sauce
Chopped green onions to garnish (optional)

Serve with Mexican fried rice(I will explain later)


First, get the rice cookin'. Oh my word, I would NEVER cook rice without a rice cooker. {That's just the Asian in me :)}


Combine chicken, sour cream, and green chilies, set aside. In another pan, saute onions in butter until golden. Add onion, salt, and 2 cups cheese to chicken mixture.


Dip the tortillas in enchilada sauce first to soften them. I like this idea, because it makes for a softened enchilada sauce flavor. The emphasis is more on the chili-chicken combination inside!
Plop some of the mixture in the tortilla, roll it up in a greased 9x13-inch pan (mine is lined with tinfoil, but sometimes that can get messy if you don't use enough cooking spray.)


Cover with remaining cheese, put the dish in the oven. Bake uncovered at 350* for 20-30 minutes.


Mmmmm...fresh out of the oven.




And now for the Mexican fried rice!
I actually change how I make this every time I do it.
I usually use about 3-4 cups of white rice.
You know the enchilada sauce I used in the above recipe? I poured the leftover sauce over the rice in a large pan.
I also add whatever veggies I have; corn, peppers, tomatoes, whatever I have.
Since the enchilada sauce doesn't have tons of flavor, I also usually add some salsa to taste.
Other alternatives include: tomato sauce with 1 packet of taco seasoning and 1 packet of fajita seasoning.

I mix all the ingredients together and fry the rice until it is hot; careful not to make it too crispy.

No comments: