Monday, July 13, 2009

Some facts and good information about exercising

So yeah, I'm trying to get off my backside and do some activity. That means less blogging. {SAD!} But after reading this book called 'The Cinderella Pact" (more on that later) I was inspired to embrace my inner princess. After doing much research on my own feelings, I've concluded that I am a much more 'princess-like' self when I exercise. I am happier, more energized, fit into my CLOTHES better (ding ding ding!!!) and most importantly, feel better about myself. So me being the nurse that I am, I looked up a few recommendations from the CDC.

And now, a recommendation from the CDC (Centers for Disease Control).

Adults should engage in at least 2 1/2 hours of moderate-intensity aerobic activity every week or 1 hour 15 minutes of vigorous-intensity aerobic activity every week.

*****Vigorous-intensity aerobic activity means you're breathing hard and fast, and your heart rate increases. If you're working at this level, you won't be able to say more than a few words without pausing for a breath. Listed below are some examples of activities that
require vigorous effort:

• Jogging or running
• Swimming laps
• Riding a bike fast or up hills
• Playing singles tennis
• Playing basketball

*****Moderate-intensity aerobic activity means you're working hard enough to raise your heart
rate and break a sweat. You should be able to talk but not sing the words to your favorite song.
Listed below are some examples of activities requiring moderate effort:

• Walking fast
• Doing water aerobics
• Riding a bike on level ground or with a
few hills
• Playing doubles tennis
• Pushing a lawn mower

Muscle strengthening activity should be added two times a week. It should include activities for all major muscle groups! (Biceps, triceps, quadriceps, abdominal muscles, calves, thighs, you get the picture.)

What does this mean for me? Jogging 2-5 miles 2 times a week with weights, and a workout video 2-3 times a week. (An ideal scenario, not always realistic.) But remember, whatever exercise you are trying out, make sure you increase the intensity gradually.

How to get started:

1) START by setting a goal for yourself. If you do ZERO exercising now, start by parking farther away from where you work and take the stairs instead of the elevator. Or make a goal to go jogging once a week. I have found that I get discouraged when I go from being completely inactive to trying the stuff I used to do in high school.

2) Track your progress. Get a calender and schedule when you are PLANNING on exercising, then on when you actually DID exercise, what you did and how long you did it for. You will feel so accomplished to see how far you've come!

No comments: