Monday, June 13, 2011

Brenna's potty-trained!

June 10th was Brenna's birthday, although we didn't really celebrate it that day. What was ironic however was that when I woke up, I decided I'd just try putting her in panties, just to see how it went. She was kicking and screaming, "I don't want to wear panties, I want my DIAPER!!!!" So I was worried. I put them on her and just ignored her until she stopped crying, then she went on her merry way. Brenna's not a big drinker, so I started to give her all the apple juice she wanted. She of course LOVED that since I don't normally give my kids juice until they're a little 'backed up.' She came up to me a while later and said with a guilty face, "Mommy, I need to go potty." Yep, she wet her pants. So I cleaned up the mess and put her on the potty, then gave her another glass of apple juice. It wasn't long before she started 'going.' Her eyes got big. Kaylee and I were both in there with her (Kaylee had started reading books to her to entertain her while she sat on the pot) and we both started jumping up and down and shouting, "Yaaaaaay!!! Yay Brenna!!! YaaaaaaaaYYYYYY!" Brenna couldn't help getting a big smile on her face. She was beaming. We started just flooding her with compliments, telling her she was a big girl. Then I gave her candy.

Really, that's all it took. Every time she went for the rest of the day, I gave her candy.

When she got up the next morning, she had an accident. We got it cleaned up and moved on. She continued to be about 80% the rest of the day.

The next two nights I worked. Nate thought I planned to potty train her right before I had a stretch of shifts so he could deal with it and I didn't have to! I didn't plan it that way. In fact, I'd prefer to have been home because there was a mattress cleaning job waiting for me when I got off work. I seriously hope I got it out. I don't think there's anything worse than the smell of old urine. EWWWW!

No comments: